maternal newborn nursing 1st edition chapman, durham test bank
1. The color of a person’s hair is an example of which of the following?
B) Sex-link inheritance
2. Which of the following places a couple at higher risk for conceiving a child with a genetic abnormality? Select all that apply.
A) Maternal age over 35 years
B) Partner who has a genetic disorder
C) Maternal type 1 diabetes
D) Paternal heart disease
3. Which of the following statements by a pregnant woman indicates she needs additional teaching on ways to reduce risks to her unborn child from the potential effects of exposure to toxoplasmosis?
A) “I will avoid rare lamb.”
B) “I will wear a mask when cleaning my cat’s litter box.”
C) “I understand that exposure to toxoplasmosis can cause blindness in the baby.”
D) “I will avoid rare beef.”
4. The ovarian cycle includes which of the following phases? Select all that apply.
A) Follicular phase
B) Secretory phase
C) Ovulatory phase
D) Luteal phase
E) Menstrual phase
5. The fetal circulatory structure that connects the pulmonary artery with the descending aorta is known as which of the following?
A) Ductus venosus
B) Foramen ovale
C) Ductus arteriosus
D) Internal iliac artery
6. A woman at 40 weeks gestation has a diagnosis of oligohydramnios. Which of the following statements related to oligohydramnios is correct?
A) It indicates that there is a 25% increase in amniotic fluid.
B) It indicates that there is a 25% reduction of amniotic fluid.
C) It indicates that there is a 50% increase in amniotic fluid.
D) It indicates that there is a 50% reduction of amniotic fluid.
7. A diagnostic test commonly used to assess problems of the fallopian tubes is:
A) Endometrial biopsy
B) Ovarian reserve testing
D) Screening for sexually transmitted infections
8. A couple is undergoing an infertility workup. The semen analysis indicates a decreased number of sperm and immature sperm. Which of the following factors can have a potential effect on sperm maturity? Select all that apply.
A) The man rides a bike to and from work each day.
B) The man takes a calcium channel blocker for the treatment of hypertension.
C) The man drinks 6 cups of coffee a day.
D) The man was treated for prostatitis 12 months ago and has been symptom free since treatment.
9. The nurse is interviewing a gravid woman during the first prenatal visit. The woman confides to the nurse that she lives with a number of pets. The nurse should advise the woman to be especially careful to refrain from coming in contact with the stool of which of the pets?
10. The clinic nurse recognizes that pregnant women who are in particular need of support are those who:
Select all answers that apply.
A) Are experiencing a second pregnancy
B) Are awaiting genetic testing results
C) Are experiencing a first pregnancy
D) Are trying to conceal this pregnancy as long as possible
11. A client is to take Clomiphene Citrate for infertility. Which of the following is the expected action of this medication?
A) Decrease the symptoms of endometriosis
B) Increase serum progesterone levels
C) Stimulate release of FSH and LH
D) Reduce the acidity of vaginal secretions
12. The nurse takes the history of a client, G2 P1, at her first prenatal visit. When the client says that her first child was diagnosed with which of the following should the nurse refer the client to a genetic counselor?
A) Unilateral amblyopia
B) Subdural hematoma
C) Sickle cell anemia
D) Glomerular nephritis
13. A nurse is teaching a woman about her menstrual cycle. The nurse states that which of the following is the most important change that happens during the secretory phase of the menstrual cycle?
A) Maturation of the graafian follicle
B) Multiplication of the fimbriae
C) Secretion of human chorionic gonadotropin
D) Proliferation of the endometrium
14. An ultrasound of a fetus’ heart shows that “normal fetal circulation is occurring.” Which of the following statements is consistent with the finding?
A) A right to left shunt is seen between the atria.
B) Blood is returning to the placenta via the umbilical vein.
C) Blood is returning to the right atrium from the pulmonary system.
D) A right to left shunt is seen between the umbilical arteries.
15. The nurse is interviewing a gravid client during the first prenatal visit. The client confides to the nurse that she owns a number of pet animals. The nurse should advise the client to be especially careful to refrain from coming in contact with the stool of which of the pets?
16. The clinic nurse knows that the part of the endometrial cycle occurring from ovulation to just prior to menses is known as the:
A) Menstrual phase
B) Proliferative phase
C) Secretory phase
D) Ischemic phase
17. A clinic nurse explains to the pregnant woman that the amount of amniotic fluid present at 7 or 8 months gestation is approximately:
A) 500 mL
B) 750 mL
C) 800 mL
D) 1000 mL
18. Information provided by the nurse that addresses the function of the amniotic fluid is that the amniotic fluid helps the fetus to maintain a normal body temperature and also:
A) Facilitates asymmetrical growth of the fetal limbs
B) Cushions the fetus from mechanical injury
C) Promotes development of muscle tone
D) Promotes adherence of fetal lung tissue
19. During preconception counseling, the clinic nurse explains that the time period when the fetus is most vulnerable to the effects of teratogens occurs from:
A) 2 to 8 weeks
B) 4 to12 weeks
C) 5 to 10 weeks
D) 6 to 15 weeks
20. A major fetal development characteristic at 16 weeks gestation is:
A) The average fetal weight is 450 grams
B) Lanugo covers entire body
C) Brown fat begins to develop
D) Teeth begin to form
21. Karen, a 26-year-old woman, has come for preconception counseling and asks about caring for her cat as she has heard that she “should not touch the cat during pregnancy.” The clinic nurse’s best response is:
A) It is best if someone other than you changes the cat’s litter pan during pregnancy so that you have no risk of toxoplasmosis during pregnancy.
B) It is important to have someone else change the litter pan during pregnancy and also avoid consuming raw vegetables.
C) Have you had any “flu-like” symptoms since you got your cat? If so, you may have already had toxoplasmosis and there is nothing to worry about.
D) Toxoplasmosis is a concern during pregnancy, so it is important to have someone else change the cat’s litter pan and also to avoid consuming uncooked meat.
22. The perinatal nurse explains to the student nurse that in the fetal circulation, the lowest level of oxygen concentration is found in the umbilical arteries.
23. After birth, the perinatal nurse explains to the new mother that ______ is the hormone responsible for stimulating milk production.
24. During prenatal class, the childbirth educator describes the two membranes that envelop the fetus. The _______ contains the amniotic fluid, and the ________ is the thick, outer membrane.
25. The perinatal nurse is teaching nursing students about fetal circulation and explains that fetal blood flows through the superior vena cava into the right _______ via the _____________________________.
26. The perinatal nurse explains to the student nurse that the growing embryo is called a ________ beginning at 8 weeks of gestational age.
27. The perinatal nurse defines a ________________ as any substance that adversely affects the growth and development of the embryo/fetus.
28. _________ ________ ________ is when sperm and oocytes are mixed outside the woman’s body and then placed into the fallopian tube via laparoscopy.
29. A couple who has sought infertility counseling has been told that the man’s sperm count is very low. The nurse advises the couple that spermatogenesis is impaired when which of the following occur?
A) The testes are overheated.
B) The vas deferens is ligated.
C) The prostate gland is enlarged.
D) The flagella are segmented.
30. A nurse working with an infertile couple has made the following nursing diagnosis: Sexual dysfunction related to decreased libido. Which of the following assessments is the likely reason for this diagnosis?
A) The couple has established a set schedule for their sexual encounters.
B) The couple has been married for more than 8 years.
C) The couple lives with one set of parents.
D) The couple has close friends who gave birth within the last year.
31. A woman seeks care at an infertility clinic. Which of the following tests may this woman undergo to determine what, if any, infertility problem she may have? Select all that apply.
A) Chorionic villus sampling
B) Endometrial biopsy
D) Serum FSH analysis
32. A couple who has been attempting to become pregnant for 5 years is seeking assistance from an infertility clinic. The nurse assesses the clients’ emotional responses to their infertility. Which of the following responses would the nurse expect to find? Select all that apply.
A) Anger at others who have babies.
B) Feelings of failure because they cannot make a baby.
C) Sexual excitement because they want to conceive a baby.
D) Guilt on the part of one partner because he or she is unable to give the other a baby.
Maternal age over 35 years
Partner who has a genetic disorder
“I will wear a mask when cleaning my cat’s litter box.”
It indicates that there is a 50% reduction of amniotic fluid.
The man rides a bike to and from work each day.
The man takes a calcium channel blocker for the treatment of hypertension.
Are awaiting genetic testing results
Are trying to conceal this pregnancy as long as possible
Stimulate release of FSH and LH
Sickle cell anemia
Proliferation of the endometrium
A right to left shunt is seen between the atria.
Cushions the fetus from mechanical injury
2 to 8 weeks
Teeth begin to form
Toxoplasmosis is a concern during pregnancy, so it is important to have someone else change the cat’s litter pan and also to avoid consuming uncooked meat.
24. amnion; chorion
25. atrium; foramen ovale
28. Gamete intrafallopian transfer
The testes are overheated.
The couple has established a set schedule for their sexual encounters.
Serum FSH analysis
Anger at others who have babies.
Feelings of failure because they cannot make a baby.
Guilt on the part of one partner because he or she is unable to give the other a baby.