Professional Issues in Nursing: Challenges and Opportunities 3rd edition Huston Test Bank
Chapter 3- Developing Effective Leaders to Meet 21st Century Health Care Challenges
1. A nurse is preparing a presentation for a group of nurses about the need for effective leadership
to meet the demands of the current American health care system. When describing issues in the
health care system, which of the following would the nurse include?
A) The doubling of costs over the past 10 years
B) Improving rates of patients receiving care
C) Rising medical errors
D) Increasing surplus of physicians but not nurses
2. A group of nursing students are reviewing the concept of leadership in preparation for a class
discussion on the topic? Which of the following if stated by the students indicates a need for
A) Leadership involves solitary, independent action.
B) Successful leaders use effective communication skills.
C) Upcoming leaders need to be innovative.
D) Leadership is embedded in relationships
3. Which of the following best reflects the leadership challenges in the 21st century? Select all
A) Need to increase productivity within budgetary constraints
B) Maintaining current evidence-based practice recommendations
C) Embracing multidisciplinary health care
D) Balancing technology and interpersonal relationships
E) Encouraging teamwork
Ans: A, D, E
4. Which of the following best indicates the current status of evidence-based practice (EBP) in
health care today?
A) The majority of nurse leaders are implementing EBP individually.
B) EBP is the standard of practice in most health care organizations.
C) Staff members are acting as EBP role models in institutions.
D) Institutions are fostering cultures for EBP throughout the country.
5. A nurse leader is working to develop an internal mechanism in the organization that will help
in the promotion of nurses from within the organization. The nurse leader is involved in which
of the following?
C) Transactional leadership
D) Succession planning
6. A nurse is reviewing information from the Institute of Medicine (IOM). Which of the following
would the nurse expect to find as one of the markers of safe and highly reliable care?
A) Team communication
B) Formal mentorship
C) Proactive decision making
7. After discussing effective team communication with a group of students, the instructor determines
that the discussion was effective when the students state which of the following?
A) Team communication requires individual commitment.
B) Worldviews and values are similar among team members.
C) Team communication is a complex social process.
D) Effective communication is indirect and broad in scope.
8. A nurse leader is working as part of a transdisciplinary health care team. Which of the following
would be a key component of this team?
A) Individual disciplines working toward the same goal
B) Collaboration among all health care providers
C) Minimal trust among a variety of health care providers
D) Use of commonalities based on each discipline’s specialized knowledge
9. Which of the following would be most effective in promoting nursing’s influence in decision
making for organizational and health policy?
A) Providing passive contributions to discussion forums on health care
B) Being proactive in ensuring representation by the best nurses
C) Engaging in limited participation in health policy venues
D) Working from the sidelines to promote health issues
10. Which of the following would be the first step in creating a culture of innovation and change?
A) Active participation
D) Change in personal leadership practices
11. As a nurse leader, which of the following would be the primary focus?
B) The vision
12. A nurse leader, working with the team, understands that trust is essential for effective team
functioning. Which of the following would be inappropriate for developing this trust?
13. A group of nursing students are reviewing information about the characteristics of a transformative
leader? The students demonstrate understanding of the material when they identify
which of the following as a characteristic? Select all that apply.
A) Ability to micromanage
B) Willingness to take risks
C) Focus on the team
D) Satisfaction with the present
E) Entrepreneurial spirit
Ans: B, C, E
14. A nursing instructor is describing how technology has impacted health care and leadership.
Which of the following would the instructor most likely include in this discussion?
A) Information transmission, although faster, is less efficient.
B) Lag times for information have significantly increased.
C) Work and personal time boundaries have become blurred.
D) Control of communication pathways remains unchanged.
15. A group of nursing students are reviewing information about models of leadership and health
care. The students demonstrate understanding of these models when they identify which of the
following as the most common style used in health care?
A) Transactional leadership
B) Inspirational leadership
C) Transformational leadership
D) Complexity leadership
16. A nurse leader is considering using transformational leadership. Which of the following would
the nurse leader need to keep in mind?
A) The locus of power rests with the employees.
B) Informal leadership is highly recognized.
C) Empowerment of both the leader and follower occurs.
D) Employees are expected to lead from their organizational position.
17. A nurse is reading a journal article on the complexity leadership model. Which of the following
would the nurse most likely find as being described in the article?
A) Positional leaders carry authority focused on managing organizational dynamics.
B) Control is relatively easy to obtain and maintain.
C) Power rests solely with specific individuals.
D) System boundaries are distinct and well defined.
18. A nurse leader is using the trimodal model of leadership. Which of the following would the
nurse be engaged in during innovation planning?
A) Providing evidence-based patient care
B) Looking for ways to improve current ineffective processes
C) Developing suitable pathways to modify roles
D) Ensuring appropriate funding for services
19. A nursing instructor is developing a teaching plan for a class on the characteristics of the various
leadership models. Which model would the instructor include as having overlapping, informal
20. The transformational leadership model involves which of the following? Select all that apply.
A) Defined boundaries
B) Leader in the central position
C) Communication in multiple directions
D) Coaching competencies
E) Planned work
Ans: A, B, E